Identifying Current Server Statistics Software and Gaining Access PART-1
- Analytics software can provide you with a rich array of valuable data about what is taking place on the site. It can answer questions such as:
- How many unique visitors did you receive yesterday?
- Is traffic trending up or down?
- What are the most popular search terms with which people find you?
- What are the most popular pages on your site?
- What are the best converting pages on the site?
High-quality, free analytics tools are available, such as Yahoo! Web Analytics and Google Analytics.
- Logfiles contain a detailed click-by-click history of all requests to your web server. Make sure you have access to the logfiles and some method for analyzing them. If you use a third-party hosting company for your site, chances are it provides some sort of free logfile analyzer, such as AWStats, Webalizer, or something similar. Obtain access to whatever tool is in use as soon as you can.
Google and Bing Webmaster Tools
- Both tools provide valuable insight into how the search engines see your site. This includes things such as external link data, internal link data, crawl errors, high-volume search terms, and much, much more.